Thursday, April 29, 2010

Culture challenge for your week:

Go three to five hours a day without any electricity. (in the middle of your day, roughly noon till 5:30 pm, or 8:30 am till 2 pm.)
-you have a gas powered stove, water, and a laundry line
-you have a back-up battery for your phone and internet
When grocery shopping you can only buy fresh produce, long life milk (powdered milk in the US), eggs, mozzerella cheese, and some soup bases (powdered style), oh spaghetti sauce, tomatoe paste and most canned vegetables, especially anything pickled!! You also can purchase noodles, rice etc. But the main ingredients are fresh, and chicken only comes in whole chickens. (there's no broths canned).
Your children (if still at home) have coloring books, play-dough and some toys to entertain them. Around 11 am you need to do 'school' for 1/2hr.
Dump all water down the squatty toilet in hopes it will somehow make the smell stop! ( I don't know what you can do, maybe the bath tub?)
Shower only
One sink in the kitchen to wash the dishes.
Every other day go outside and wash off your patio, entrance way and driveway using a hose but without the nozzle.
No social outings except Sunday fellowship, grocery store, and maybe one other entertaining guests. (try some international dishes for your guests, Ann and Alicia this will seem natural for you!)
And my personal favorite, when communicating with those outside your immediate circle you can use only a kindegartners' vocabulary and sentence structuring, and for some reason you really struggle remembering the numbers above 11.
(giggle and snickering on my part)
Have fun! Let me know how the experiment lasts, what you think of it all. I think you will find somethings are a great relief, some feel good cause its healthy and some just drive you batty on those crazy days! I'll have more challenges to come, this is just to get you started! :)

4 comments:

  1. ohh we are actually suppose to to these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes phyllis... that's the idea, I'm curious to see if anyone actually does it... a day in the life of a kurdish housewife, or me living here :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EliZrockZ5:29:00 AM

    i do it every day =] sounds pretty much the same there as here. does every food you make basically contain tomato paste? because here they hardly have ANY dishes that don't use tomato paste. well, have fun with that! =]
    Love,
    *EliZ*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm game... even though I'm not sure I can identify with a Kurdish housewife, but I'll take you up on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete