Thursday, April 29, 2010

Caramel roll inspiration

As I sit here at our dining room table, I can look out our big window and see a huge tree growing in an impossible situation. There is a cement wall about 10 feet high on its one side where the base is only a foot away from the wall, the power line (Iraqi style) is going through the tree, the house behind the tree has a balcony that reaches partly into the tree as well. And it is lush, green, full, and beautiful. I look at this tree a lot, and all I can think is how is that skinny little trunk supporting all that foliage and in such a small space, how has it not destroyed the foundation of the house or the fence at least? But it hasn't, and it provides me with daily inspiration, and hope.
I love nature. I love being in nature, hiking, skiing, backpacking, rockclimbing, kayaking, whatever. I love nature. And I live in a city, full of trash, squashed with people, no yard, and little opportunity to do the things I love to do in nature. But I can't help but think that tree is part of nature, and yet it grew there in its distorted environment, maybe someone watered it, nurtured it through the growth or maybe it was just there and they built up around it, either way its there and thriving.
The Creator of nature I love even more, so much more I am willing to live in a city, go through so much transition, lose my identity as a women and a nature lover, to embrace... what? I don't know yet, but He knows, and even now He is nurturing me, loving me, giving me the will to go right on producing beautiful fruit. How is it possible in this environment to thrive on such a skinny trunk of faith? I don't know. But the Creator knew where that tree was planted and it thrives, so if this is what a tree can do, what about me? After all I was made in the image of the Creator itself. Hmmmm, I guess we'll make it after all.

1 comment:

  1. loved this! wish i could see things that way.

    ReplyDelete