Monday, March 22, 2010

Judgeni Nawroztan Perozbit!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=156663&id=556387513&l=bfeae4253e


Here are the latest pictures of our most recent adventures. And well timed they were too. We have had a most difficult two weeks, but with Nawroz (the Kurdish New Year) came not only the celebration of Spring, but of friendships as well.
We started our celebrating by going to visit our friends house three/four houses down, and it went great. The kids even did well. Their youngest son is always so good to play with Cedar. That is one (of the many) thing about this culture that is so great, the older always helps with the younger. The other day the children were out playing in a rock pile outside and our neighbors second oldest son (a senior is H.S.) came out and played with them, then another neighbors son did the same when they were out their by themselves. So cool.
After visiting Friday night, we went to Salim Street on Saturday. I can't begin to describe this experience. Well for one because we forgot our camera!! And for two it is just too big to describe. Supposedly there were no hotel/motel rooms left in the city. So many people had traveled from Iran, Turkey, and other parts of Iraq to be here. Again the kids did great, Wes and I were glad to be done with it by the end though. It's kind of like a mosh pit and state fair all rolled into one, with everyone dressed in their best! At one point when we were walking/pushed along in the heaviest part of the crowd I didn't know where my body ended and where my (now very close) friend's began. :) lol It was an experience to say the least.
Last but not least came Sunday and picnicing in Dukon. Our first excursion outside the city, but if you can imagine the whole of the city picking up and mass exiting at the same time, it didn't feel very different from the cit in the end. :) We started at 8 am after packing up our pickup and connecting with our neighbors whose bumper our trucks front bumper would be within 1 foot of for the next 2-3 hours! I don't know how many times Wes and I were praying 'Please God keep us safe." As we drove up to the mountains. Let me just say, driving into oncoming traffic going about 100 km/h is not our sort of adrenaline rush! After getting yelled at by the police twice, and missing near death crashes umpteen times, and avoiding a fender bender 100's of times, we landed at our picnic spot. An area of about 8 x 10 feet, with a hill on one side and a foot path on the other! But I must say it was still wonderful. These people know how to celebrate and enjoy one another's company. Something Wes and I have always held in high regard. By the end of the night, with two kids sleeping on the blankets, starring at the stars, shivering with a sort of contented coolness, I prayed to God and thanked Him for meeting my hearts' need so deeply. The inversion that had settled on my soul lifted with every deep breath I took, and with the feel of my childrens' warm bodies sleeping in my lap. A beautiful memory and one I am not likely to ever forget. We made it home safe and sound, avoiding the worse of the traffic crush by leaving after dark. The kids woke up several times in the night because of ear aches. I think Cedar's is minor, but Oasis' is probably an ear infection. We'll try to find some antibiotics today or tomorrow. Depending on when we can find a pharmacy open. I hope you enjoy the pictures and seeing us in them. I was just thinking how not long ago you had probably seen some similar scenes, but now we are there! So crazy to me still. I miss home, and I miss family and friends. But yesterday the sadness lifted for a little while as I talked about God and family, and the important things of life with our Kurdish friends. Now is time for a much needed nap and quiet time. Know that you are missed.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that God gave this to you =) I LOVE hearing what you're up to - picturing you in the stories is always really fun in my head...that sounds weird...anyways. My goal is to call you soon. Phyllis explained to me how your phone works - which I realize isn't really that confusing - but every time I think of it you're in bed. I'll work on it because I would love to hear your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are missed too. But, you are also prayed for daily. It is such a blessing to me to see God answering my prayers in your letters. May God be near to you today in all you do! Thank you for sharing this beautiful memory with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I can't believe the life you guys lead... You are amazing!

    Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me miss our times in Antakya, Turkey with friends. Found you through my mom who is in Billings, MT.

    ReplyDelete