Sunday, May 16, 2010

Proverbs 16

Todays' Proverbs reading was really impacting. I have been praying for many years, yes years, that God would take the desire I have for us to live in Idaho near Wes' family. Instead of taking it, it seems to have multiplied in a burning desire to live there. I have often wondered about this 'desire of my heart'. I guess the prosperity gospel would say I should move there since its my desire and it hasn't gone away, but I just knew there was more to it, and I continued to wrestle with what to do about this desire I have surrendered time and again and asked that God would wrestle from my spirit. Today Proverbs 16:1 said, "To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the reply of the tongue." Sometimes the heart can be so misleading, and while there are times to trust what God is saying through your heart other times it is hard to weigh the motives because I am so close to the issue at hand. Proverbs 16:9 says, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." And again in Proverbs 16:2 "All a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the LORD." So I am finding that God is speaking to me through His Word this morning. I need to not trust this desire of my heart and recognize God's judgement and rational response to my hearts desire.
The other thing I have been struggling with is my words to the kids. I just feel like I don't speak enough into their hearts and I struggle to know how better to respond to them. Especially after that third or fourth reprimand for the same thing! This morning I read in Proverbs 16:24 "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." And again in Proverbs 16:13 "Kings take pleasur in honest lips; they value a man who speaks the truth." So I am learning from God in response to my prayer for wisdom with the children that while I can speak honestly of their sin/disobedience that I must also speak sweetly, so as it will be better for them to accept the instruction. I guess you could say I need to do what the Father God did for me this morning, honesty and sweetness even though it was humbling. Praise God for answered prayers, and for softening a hardened heart.
Some other verses that spoke into this issue;
Proverbs 16:20 "Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is hewho trusts in the LORD."
Proverbs 16:21 "The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction."
and especially Proverbs 16:25 "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."

No comments:

Post a Comment