Well let me give you a good cultural lesson... the women were a no show. I don't know why, I saw them over at their office and everything. I went outside and washed our patio so that it was clear I was home. They just didn't come. So this is a good example of how they will promise everything and in the end you end up with nothing, or a shadowy impression of all that was promised. Don't worry I wasn't too disappointed, in fact I found I was mostly relieved. I just don't have very much Kurdish under my belt right now, and so I prayed about the whole thing before, after and during. (I also wore my tie die Psalm 91's... hehhee) And I had a peace, understanding that all things come to pass at the time in which God desires them to be.
One of the things that did happen that was unexpected, last minute and absolutely wonderful, was that I was able to go to an engagement party with Rachael. It was so much fun. The women were so beautiful. One girl looks just like Penelope Cruz. The bride was beautiful in a green gown, kind of similar to a wedding dress, halter top, lots of sequins and layers of tulle... and the gold!! One of the neatest (in my opinion) traditions here is that when a girl gets married/engaged she recieves a gifting of gold, from family friends, and especially the groom. In this case the girl did very well for herself! :) We danced in our jillycurdy's (compliments of Rachael), ate baklava, and laughed so very much! They were so gracious and curteous putting up with my horrible kurdish, and trying to speak english. I danced until my shoulders felt like they were disconnected. Their dancing is a line dance, linked by hands, stepping fowards and back in a sideways motion and shrugging their shoulders in time with the beat of the music... if you can find it!! There were lots of pictures, and giggling. This was the first time the bride and groom met each other! So different for us isn't it? Anyways, he was handsome and smiled after he relaxed a little, perhaps... insha allah... it will be a good union. There is so much about this experience to write down, the crowded and hot living room packed with perfumed women with lots of eye makeup, children darting in and out of the dancers, the old women throwing the babies up in the air, and the incessant trills of the women as they danced and cheered. This was a great household to come to. The daughters (5 in all) were all very fun and lively. They were very loved by BOTH their parents and their brothers and so grew up in an environment which fully allowed them to be what they were. A gift to be sure in any culture. The sisters looked out for Rachael (their good friend/like a sister) and myself and so I was able to relax cause I knew if I did anything wrong they would let me know, and they were often fixing my jillycurdy for me, or laughing over my kurdish, and guarding me from any women who would lead me astray. Praise God for such a rich insight, and gift.
There are darker aspects as well, a charm tied to the hair of a baby to ward off evil for instance which constantly drew me back to prayer and remembering to keep my spiritual armor on. But more than this I think is the beauty that shines through these people, this is what God takes delight in them over, their hospitality, their concern for the comfort of others, and their love of family. I pray God would allow me to grow in these ways...
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a great story. I could totally see you having a blast at that party - I could even hear your laugh while I was picturing it all =) I am thankful that God is providing friends for you - like He wouldn't? - but I know that you will have wonderful friends because you are a wonderful friend and people will be drawn to that when they get to know you. I'm also glad you're wearing your tie dye undies - I think some very supernatural things will happen when you're weaing those things!
ReplyDeleteHow amazing!! I am seriously trying so hard to picture it! How wonderful to have a friend who will bring you places so that you can experience so much. I bet you enjoyed the dancing. :-) Fun!
ReplyDeleteloved this, wish i could have been there ( :
ReplyDelete