Saturday, December 11, 2010

Vacation Part II

So it took me two weeks instead of next Thursday but here's the second summary on our vacation in Turkey. The second half we were in Istanbul for a conference and then some time just hanging out in the city. Ya know like Starbucks?! Yep, totally paid 4 euro for a chai but Oh So Worth IT!!! Amazing the little things that just seem more special when you can't have them at your fingertips, like McDonalds'... just for the record way more disgusting tasting if possible, but yet strangely satisfying!
Well I can't divulge much about the conference other than to say it was great to be with like minded people, get a pulse on all that is happening in the world, and see the kids play with other kids who speak a second language and are third culture kids as well. Very encouraging. Cedar made a friend who reminded me so much of one of his friends back in Billings, it was bittersweet to say the least. I remember one conversation they were having, definitely not the average American 4 year old conversation...

Cedar- "We have to go on a airplane to get to I....q".
Boy- "Yeah we have to get on a airplane too."
Cedar- "I could get on an airplane and come see you."
Boy-"Yeah but you would have to get on like 3 airplanes, and you can't get on the one that I am going on this time cause you didn't buy your ticket."
Cedar- "Yeah and sometimes you have to take trains and buses too, and then lots of airplanes."

The whole time I was eavesdropping and thinking to myself that is so neat, and yet there was this part of me that was so saddened. It's such a difficult thing to describe but I grieve my sons lack of normalcy, judged by our culture. As in he doesn't have conversations about ipods, psp, or some other typical 4 year old conversation in America (I went dramatic with the example to try and show the difference) instead he talks about what language are you learning, how many airplanes do you have to fly to get home, and do the little boys beat you up too where you live? Again note dramatics, sorry hard to supress that side of me :) So while I was very thankful a cute, little, adventurous, bi-lingual but mainly English speaking boy became friends with Cedar, I was just sad that it wasn't what he used to have. How terrible is that?! I know, I know, but that is my struggle. Really I think its because Cedar has voiced his discontent or displeasure with this life, I don't blame him, but I don't know how to help him either. I struggle too.
Oasis did great with the childcare at the conference which was a huge relief because since moving she's really struggled with fear of strangers, and doesn't like to be separated. Again the volunteers spoke English, were parents themselves and it went very smoothly. Then there was a moment where I stood and listened to voices singing, a actual band playing, and a leader praying. I was so stunned with how my life had changed. It had been 9-10 months since I had stood in a corporate body and been moved, not because of desire, but because there isn't anything like that here. So much has changed not just how I seek and find God but just my relationship with Him. I was able to sit down with a gal and have her help me through some things, we had a really intense time of prayer that was very moving and very healing. Some of you might remember my experience from a couple of summers ago? Well its the same kind of prayer and with some inspiring interaction with our Creator. We took some seminar classes that were fantastic and of course inspiring as well.
The second half of our time in Istanbul was pretty good without much incident which was refreshing from our normal everyday lives. :) We had planned to go to the aquarium there, it was a bit on the pricey side but supposedly it is the largest aquarium in Europe. I'm glad we did it, the kids loved it and us adults did too. We went through a walk through tunnel thing where the fish are swimming on both sides and right over you. Oasis wasn't too sure about the sharks but it was so cool, and once she realized they couldn't touch her she got into it pretty well. I think Wes was the most excited about the shark feeding and when he gets his mind set on something you better have your running shoes on cause he'll go Mach 10 till he get there! Then there was some other neat exhibits inluding a Nemo themed tank. Afterward we decided to go to IKEA, because it is right there at the same place as the aquarium which is at one end of this gigantic mall while IKEA is at the other end. We've never been in an IKEA before, but everyone always raves about them so we thought we'd check it out. Well Rach needed to get some things for her daughter, so we sent the guys ahead of us and told them to meet us at the IKEA and we would be right behind them. So we run into a store get what we need and rush on over to where the guys and all three kids should be waiting. Did you note the 'should' in that sentence. That's right, they weren't there, so Rach and I went inside to see if they had gone in. Ok, there's three things you should know 1. Middle Eastern people travel in packs of twelve or more, its like their entire extended family all get together and say let's go somewhere today, 2. they do not have personal space, and 3. THERE IS NOT EXIT WITH IKEA, you HAVE to go through the ENTIRE store to get back out... EVERY TIME!!!!!!! I Hate IKEA! Ok, on with the story. After wandering at the first section of the store which happened to be the kids section (1 of like 10 kids sections we came to find out) the guys were still nowhere to be seen, so we start to try and find an exit... as mentioned above we didn't know we'd have to go through the entire store and warehouse to get out, but now we know. Long story short 1 hour later, the guys finally come through the check-out stands and were just as aggravated as we were, only us girls didn't even get to look at anything because we had been racing to find an exit the whole time. Now you might at this point in the story be contemplating having sympathy for our men, after all they had three children, they were 'shopping' and their wives were no where to be found, but the OTHER side of the story was, they stopped off at a electronics store instead of going to the IKEA and didn't think it would bother us. Moral of the story, do not separate before going, entering, or leaving the devil store a.k.a., IKEA.
The rest of the week went great, Turkish tea, Saltahnamet, Blue Mosque, Topeki Palace, and awe at the fact that Turkish people could in fact be more rude than I had previously thought. With the exception of our hotel, they were fantastic! We all got sick and passed it around, that's just inevitable anyways, and we made it back here safe and sound, rested and bonded. :)

1 comment:

  1. Did you happen to go to the old Hammam near Topkapi??? That's always a must for me when I go because it feels so old world. Glad you were able to fellowship :0)

    ReplyDelete