Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Thoughts on childhood
So part of our assignment for that book we're working through 'How We Love' is to sit down and write a letter to our parents about how we felt as kids. We're supposed to use 'soul words' to describe our relationship with out them. It's really gotten me to thinking about my life as a parent and how my kids feel about our relationship with each other. It also made me realize my parents had to feel as tired and burned out as we do. My mom worked a full time job, and my dad worked in a factory or with his hands, always tired out and worn out. He used to make me take his work boots (leather, steel toe) off his feet, and his socks! What kind of abuse is that? Yet when I think about it, it makes me smile. I guess its the little ways we let our kids into our lives that helps us feel connected. So, I should probably let them dump the flour into the batch of whatever I'm cooking, 'wash' the dishes which really means the floor, the front of the cupboard and anything else within a 2 foot radius, I suppose it means letting them interrupt me for the twentieth time while I'm just trying to pee, and I suppose it means I better get my attitude in check cause if these kids are gonna follow Jesus I need to be a better representative of who He is. I'm pretty sure He doesn't get irritated or aggravated by my 220 petty interruptions through out the day... and night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

:) Sometimes I wonder if God gave us children just for our own sanctification....I struggle with all the interuptions during the day to, but am finding my response makes all the diffrence in how our day looks! So what if they make the mess...I'm cleaning all day anyways;)
ReplyDeleteKeep on loving,
Robyn
well put niki!
ReplyDelete