Tuesday, May 12, 2009

John 15:18-20,22

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also....... If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin."
This verse keeps coming into my mind from our weekend. I keep thinking of it in relation to the various reactions we have had since sharing our desire to move overseas. It is hard to realize that while we believe we are doing the will of God, others look at our decision as a direct infraction against our responsibilities as parents, and as adults.
My friend Tori asked me to define the gospel and 'missions'. It was hard to do, but I am glad she asked. Lots of times I don't like to write down what I think because you never know when its going to come back and stare you in the face. If its just a thought in your head, well then no one can call you out on it. Friendship is being an ambassador. Loving others, and meeting their needs, is being an ambassador for Christ. Sharing the gospel through actions as well as words is being an ambassador for Christ. Judging is for God. While I may be asked to judge some circumstances or situations, I will never be asked to judge another person, for I am not God. Culture is not wrong, the heart condition of another can be, but like I told Tori there is no one true culture, and the only one true church in which I believe in is the church of Christ that I seek as a Christ follower. I will worship in a jungle, a mountain top, and if someday it comes to pass a place of worship of another faith (I found myself doing so at the SLC Tabernacle in 2004.), but I will never not worship just because I am in the wrong kind of building or the wrong kind of music, or the wrong kind of message is being delivered. So 'missions' is living out our faith, seeking opportunities to share the hope of Christ, being transparent in our pursuit to run the race unhindered, and doing so in a way so as to not cause another to stumble. But most of all it is our dependence upon God as He is the ONLY one who can lead another to Him. Me? I'm just an earthen vessel.

2 comments:

  1. I like your thoughts, Niki. Maybe you can keep this blog a bit more up to date than previous attempts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:39:00 PM

    "The two ways part now and I stand
    uncertain and perplexed.
    Whither, Lord, next?

    One friend says this, another that.
    I have no choice.
    Lord, for Thy voice.

    But look! one path is stained with blood.
    Footprints I see.
    I will follow Thee."

    Ruth Bell Graham

    ReplyDelete